Notice: Please be aware that someone is impersonating the Denton County Treasurer’s office claiming that outstanding payments are due. This is a scam! If you receive a call like this, please contact your local police department or the Sheriff's Office to file a report.
Honorable Cindy Yeatts Brown
Joseph A. Carroll Building
2013 Outstanding County Treasurer by the County Treasurers Association of Texas
401 West Hickory
Denton, TX 76201-9030
(940) 349-3151 (Fax)
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Functions of the County Treasurer
The Texas Constitution, Article XVI, Section 44, Local Government Code of the State of Texas Chapter 83. and Chapters 111. - 117. and Chapter. 155. provide for a County Treasurer and prescribe the duties as Chief Custodian of County Finance. Basic duties include, but are not limited to, receiving, investing, keeping and accounting, paying, applying, and disbursing all monies belonging to the County from whatever source derived, according to Law. The County Treasurer preserves the system of checks and balances within the financial administration of county finances.
Specific duties include:
- Banker for Denton County Government working with Departments and public for receiving and disbursing funds, including general payments of County expenses, payments for Jury Duty, payments to Election Workers and County Payroll.
- Investment Officer for Denton County funds working with external brokers and banking community for highest and safest investment returns on Denton County funds; insuring proper collateral for all Denton County investments and funds; and proposes and oversees the Denton County Investment Policy, in compliance with the Public Funds Investment Act of Texas.
- Payroll Administrator, preparing and issuing payroll to over 1500 county employees. Manages all deductions, reports, employee counseling and related functions for Federal Social Security and Withholding Taxes; Texas County and District Retirement System; Employee Deferred Compensation Plan; Investment Programs; Employee Payroll Direct Deposit Program, Quarterly 941 and Annual W2's.
- Contract Administrator for the Denton County Bank Depository, including negotiating of Contract and management of all facets of banking services for Denton County.
- Agent for required monthly, quarterly, or annual Federal and/or State of Texas reports and payments for Denton County.
- Reconciliation Agent for Denton County accounting, working with Depository Bank, County Departments and external Auditors.
- Statutory Supervisor of Unclaimed Property for Denton County valued at less than $100 Unclaimed Funds List. To search the Texas State Comptroller website for unclaimed funds click on the following link: State Comptroller Unclaimed Funds
- Custodian of Sheriff's bail bond collateral.
- The County Treasurer serves as Chairman of the Denton County Investment Committee, as well as statutory member of the Denton County Bail Bond Board; Denton County Personnel Policy Committee and the Denton County Housing Finance Corporation.