Visitors interested in genealogical
research may wish to take advantage of the archive of
the Office of History and Cultures and the Denton County
Historical Commission resources available on the first
floor of the Courthouse-on-the-Square.
Denton Record-Chronicle has donated its collection of historical photographs to the museum. A small portion of photographs are available to the public at this time
(photos can be duplicated for a fee).
The Offices of History and Culture archives and the Denton County Historical Commission
records are available on the first floor of the Courthouse-on-the-Square. The Historical
Commission maintains a continuing record of all cemeteries and burials in Denton County that
is especially helpful to genealogists. Archival records also include documents and
photographs of early Denton County people and places. The commission and museum library has
dozens of volumes on local history, Texas history, and guides to antiques and collectibles
available for on-site research.
Microfilm, Denton Area Newspaper, 1892-1911
Denton County newspapers were donated to the museum by the
Record-Chronicle and microfilmed with the assistance of funding from the City of Denton
and Denton County. The microfilm is available at the Emily Fowler Central Library located at 502 Oakland, Denton, TX 76201, 940-349-8752.
The newspapers may be
accessed on-line at the Denton County website:
Genealogical Resources Available Online from the Denton Public Library
The Denton Public Library is proud to launch a new webpage providing access to many of the unique resources located in the Special Collections Department of the Emily Fowler Central Library.
features links to birth, death, and marriage indexes for the Denton Record-Chronicle, links to online resources, and information about upcoming genealogy and local history programs.
For more information contact, visit the Denton Public Library, call 940.349.8752 or see the library's Web site at
Museum Receives Curatorial Facility Certification
The Courthouse Museum became certified by the Texas Historical Commission through the Curatorial Facility Certification Program. This allows the museum to house state-associated held-in-trust items. These are items that are owned by the state and are usually archeological items excavated from public land. The Courthouse Museum will be allowed to house and maintain these collections for the state. The four step application process took museum curator Kim Cupit two years to complete. There are currently seven certified curatorial facilities in the state. The Courthouse Museum is the only museum in North Texas to be certified.