Marriage License Information
Marriage licenses are available Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm at the County Clerk's office in Denton as well as our satellite offices located in the Sandy Jacobs Government Center - Carrollton, Steven Everett Copeland Government Center - Cross Roads, and Precinct 3 Government Center - Lewisville Center.
Both applicants must be present to receive the license (few exceptions, as noted in the Statutes). In the State of Texas, a marriage license is valid for ninety (90) days from the day it is issued. However, after the marriage license is issued there is a seventy-two (72) hour waiting period until the license becomes valid. The marriage license may be used anywhere in the State of Texas.
To apply for the marriage license each applicant shall submit:
- proof of identity and age (Driver's License, State Identification card, or other document issued by this state or another state, United States or a foreign country, or certified copy of applicants birth certificate)
- Documents establishing parental consent, should the applicant be 16 or 17 years of age.
- verbalize the oath printed on the application and sign the application before the county clerk.
- If one applicant cannot appear personally see information on the absent applicant procedures.
- The fee for a marriage license (without course certificate) is $82.00.
Effective September 1, 2008:
For Couples taking the State-Approved Marriage Class:
- Procedures for applying for a marriage license remain the same.
- Course certificate must be able to be verified through the State of Texas on-line by the Clerk's office.
- 72 hour waiting period is automatically waived.
- Marriage license fees total $22.00.
- For more information go to: www.twogetherintexas.com
- Electronic Marriage License Application: Click here to submit your marriage license application electronically. Both applicants must be able to visit the County Clerk’s office in person within 3 days of submitting your application in order to obtain your marriage license. After 3 days the application will be removed from our queue and you will need to complete your application again.
Affidavit of Absent Applicant
For more information about Marriage Records (please click here)